Thomas W. Tardy III
Thomas W. Tardy III
Tom Tardy has a diverse background of litigation experience.
Tom has tried First Amendment cases, oil and gas cases, and personal injury cases for both plaintiffs and defendants. However, he has achieved national acclaim for his representation of clients in mass tort cases. For over 40 years, he has successfully litigated mass tort claims nationally, regionally, and locally on behalf of dozens of defendants, including manufacturers and suppliers of products and equipment such as brakes, pumps, compressors, boilers, electrical equipment, and others. He has served as national coordinating counsel for a variety of companies' asbestos and silica litigation portfolios, and has managed the defense of over 200,000 toxic tort claims nationwide.
Tom served as counsel of record for a number of defendants in MDL 875, and obtained several notable victories, including landmark decisions on the "bare metal defense". He also served as lead counsel in multiple matters before the Mississippi Supreme Court and obtained favorable defense decisions that led to substantive tort reform. Tom previously served as national counsel for a high-target defendant involved in hearing loss and hand-arm vibration syndrome litigation, which was successfully concluded. He has been certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, and for more than 25 years has been a prolific author and speaker on toxic tort litigation.
Tom has also acted as settlement counsel for a large number of toxic tort defendants and has personally negotiated settlements of over 100,000 toxic tort claims in federal and state courts throughout the country. He is a member of the firm's settlement counsel practice group. He has also met the qualifications for mediators established by the Mississippi Bar Association.
Tom served in the U.S. Army where he was an Instructor, Officer's Candidate School, Fort Benning, Georgia and Reconnaissance Platoon Leader, Vietnam. He is perennially listed as one of the top lawyers in Mississippi by a variety of publications.
- Martindale-Hubbell® Preeminent AV™ Peer Review Rated
- Selected to Mid-South Super Lawyers for 2008 - 2021
- Included in the 2017 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation
- Included in the 2012 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® for Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants and Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Included in the 2011 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® for Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® publication since 2008
- Chambers USA®
- Benchmark Litigation
- Top 50 Mississippi Super Lawyers
- "Insurance Company Roundtable", Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar (DALS) (New Orleans, LA, June 26-28, 2019)
- "The Top Emerging Trends in Asbestos Litigation" Perrin Conferences, Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation. Conference (Beverly Hills, CA, March 6-7, 2017).
- "2016 National Asbestos Litigation Trends" Perrin Conferences, Asbestos Defense Strategic Summit (New Orleans, LA, November 9, 2016).
- "Developing Alternative Exposures" Perrin Conferences, Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar (DALS) (Las Vegas, NV, June 8-10, 2016).
- "The Top Emerging Trends in 2016 Asbestos Litigation" Perrin Conferences, Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation Conference (Beverly Hills, CA, March 14-15, 2016).
- Corporate Roundtable: "In-House Perspectives on Asbestos Litigation" Perrin Conferences, Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview & Outlook (San Francisco, CA, September 28-30, 2015).
- "Recent Verdicts" Perrin Conferences, Defense Asbestos Litigation Seminar (Las Vegas, NV, June 4-6, 2015).
- "The Top Emerging Trends in 2015 Asbestos Litigation" Perrin Conferences, Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation Conference (Beverly Hills, CA, March 16-17, 2015).
- "The Top Emerging Trends in 2014 Asbestos Litigation" Perrin Conferences, Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation Conference (Beverly Hills, CA, March 17-18, 2014).
- "Insurance Perspective on Asbestos Litigation in 2013" Perrin Conferences, Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview & Outlook (San Francisco, CA, September 16-18, 2013).
- The Mississippi Bar
- State Bar of Texas
- Capital Area Bar Association
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
University of Mississippi School of Law
(J.D. , with distinction)
Mississippi State University
(B.S. in Accounting)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of the State of Mississippi