Mary Margaret Gay
Mary Margaret Gay concentrates her practice on mass tort defense and has represented dozens of clients nationally and regionally.
She possesses extensive experience in creating cost-efficient, unified defense strategies to manage special issues arising in mass tort litigation. As counsel of record for more than 40 defendants in MDL 875, Mary Margaret served as coordinating counsel for the defense liaison committee and led the attack on screening related fraud, which led to dismissals in almost 100,000 cases. She has written multiple articles regarding asbestos bankruptcy trust issues and is frequently called upon to present seminars and workshops on this topic. Mary Margaret is currently spearheading unified joint defense efforts arising in the aftermath of Judge Hodges’ landmark estimation opinion issued in the Garlock bankruptcy proceedings and has been retained by a number of insurers and defendants to serve as National Trust Transparency Counsel. Through this role, she provides clients with national strategies to effectively utilize records and information contained in asbestos bankruptcy trusts to assist with tort litigation. Mary Margaret previously served as a White House Intern to President Bill Clinton.
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Capital Area Bar Association
- Mississippi Volunteers Lawyers Project
- Jackson Young Lawyers
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Junior League of Jackson
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Greater Jackson
- The ALS Association Mississippi/Louisiana Chapter
- Mid-South Super Lawyer® Rising Stars®
- Mid-South Super Lawyer®
- Martindale-Hubbard® Distinguished AV™ Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers® in America
- 2015 Leaders in Law by the Mississippi Business Journal
- 2017 Leading Mississippi Business Women by the Mississippi Business Journal
- "Garlock Bankruptcy Judge: Asbestos Settlements 'Infected With the Impropriety of Some Law Firms'," IADC Committee Newsletter, April 2014, Second Edition.
- "The Billion Dollar Difference: The Value of Trust Transparency," Mealey's Asbestos Bankruptcy Report, Vol. 14 #1, August 2014.
- "The Billion Dollar Difference: The Value of Trust Transparency," Mealey's Litigation Report: Asbestos, Vol. 29 #15, September 10, 2014.
- "Garlock One Year Later," IADC Committee Newsletter, January 2015.
- "The Bankruptcy Trust Offset: What is it and should it be applied in a Civil Case?" Perrin Conference, March 2015, Beverly Hills, California.
- "Garlock Estimation Ruling: New Procedural Issues (Discovery Motions, Motions to Unseal Records, Lack of Enforcement Mechanisms and What to Do With the Information at Trial); How These Issues Impact Future Liability," American Conference Institute's 18th National Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, January 2015, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- "The Garlock Ruling: Understanding the Impact and Applications in the Tort System," FETTI Conference, October 2014, Chicago, Illinois.
- "Asbestos Compensation: The Impact of Bankruptcy on the Tort System," Perrin Conference, September 2014, San Francisco, California.
- "Women in Business Breakfast Roundtable," Perrin Conference, March 2014.
- "Emerging Trends in Asbestos Litigation: Screening & Case Resolution" Mealey's Emerging Trends in Asbestos Litigation Conference.
- "Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch Changes: The Latest Developments in MDL 875 and What to Expect, a Panel Discussion" Andrews' Asbestos Litigation Conference.
- Mississippi College School of Law (J.D.)
- Hendrix College (B.A. in Political Science)